Saturday 21 January 2012

OOTD - Slobby Saturday and a diet post....

I'm really tired today.....as is often the case at the weekend! So today's outfit is comfort based, not stylishly thought out at all! This is my go-to winter weekend look and occasional school-run outfit. I won't wear it to work though unless I've run out of all my clean clothes! The jumper was a gift from my mother on one of her USA trips - it's from TK Maxx in Florida (though I think it's TJ Max there) The label says "Extra Touch Collection" - anyone heard of it? Wish I knew cos it's my favourite slouchy jumper and my favourite colour!

The jeans were a prize from the lovely Lauren and appropriately enough were from last year's Plus London event - Torrid had sent a capsule wardrobe and I won it on Lauren's blog - these were my favourite jeans but they're almost too big for me now which is a shame! And I'm wearing those bloody boots again! But it was cold.....

Jumper - TJ/K Max USA
Jeans - Torrid
Boots  - Again....Uggs

I've been meaning to write for a while about my weight. I'm very pro size acceptance and HAES but I also have to admit I'm using Weightwatchers to eat healthier and to lose weight. Over a year ago I was diagnosed with Type II diabetes - early stages - which I was expecting after having had gestational diabetes in both pregnancies - very severely in the last one. I remember those days of injecting insane amounts of insulin and being scared to eat anything. I didn't want to go back there. I've been overweight all my life - was a size 16 at 16 and kind of kept my dress size/age ratio going. At the age of 30 and a size 30 I decided I wanted babies. So I lost 5 stone with WW and had my son. I put on weight in pregnancy and did WW a couple of times in between babies to get healthy for the second pregnancy. I kind of did the classic yo-yo dieting thing for a few years. But when I got the diagnosis of Diabetes I knew I had to change my life, not go on a diet. And that's what I've done. I've upped my exercise and discovered a zumba addiction. I still eat unhealthy food but in moderation. And I am not a diet nazi. I will never judge anyone on their size or their choices. I fully support and utterly admire a lot of the fatshion blogging community who have taught me to wear clothes that make me feel good, not to hide in a kaftan. And I love that they are proud of their bodies and love to flaunt them. If I wasn't 40 and looking at diabetes, I might have joined them! And I still am in a way - I've learnt a lot already and am starting to develop a real interest in fashion - something I always denied myself when I was younger because a) there was hardly any fashion out there for someone my age and size, and b) I didn't really think fashion referred to me as a fat woman.

So much has changed. I love the choice, the range, the acceptance that I've found online. And I'm hoping my "outing" myself as a Weightwatchers follower won't disqualify me from this community. I've already lost someone on Facebook who felt unable to associate with someone who was dieting as it was anti-FA. I disagree. I accept everyone. And hell, I'm never going to be a size zero! I've already managed to get my blood sugar back down to normal levels - HIGH normal levels, but I'm no longer classed as diabetic. And now my goal is to get fitter and I'm aiming at a size 16 - I haven't put a number on the scales as my goal. I just want to be healthy.

So there - I've said it - I've wanted to talk about this for a long time ever since I read this post by Eclectica and I'm doing what's best for me like she suggested.

No comments:

Post a Comment